Sunday, June 17, 2012

Boa, Aruba in the Stranglehold


First Chapter:
Blue sky, blinding sun, turquoise water.
I blink, it's just too bright.
Ever so lightly my toe pushes the automatic accelerator.
A small romantic beach appears. I know that appearances are deceptive. The white sand is dotted with sticky condoms and fatty scraps of Big Macs, witnesses of Aruba's most popular leisure time activities. A motor boat is bobbing in the bay, next to two men heads, just forgotten coconuts. For a moment I imagine how it would be  if my head would bob there too, how the salty  water glides over my body until I hoist myself in the boat ,  joining the men  to race out to the sea.  Associations of difficult communication, lack of humor and sweaty bodies chase away this daydream.
I am enjoying myself in the cool cab of my new Chevy, far  above any tumult.  Quadraphonic Soft Music from the 60s dampens any sense of stress.
The traffic jam is complete on the L.G Smith Boulevard. Mesmerized I look at the bright green lawns of the Queen Wilhelmina Park. The short thick  grass is alive with wagging tails, clawing paws and  clever reptile heads  of  quickly multiplying iguanas. Out of this living carpet palm trees rise in measured distances into the sky,  waving in the permanent Aruban breeze. Between their slender trunks Queen Wilhelmina rises in full glory, carved from stone.
Stepwise my pick-up is progressing in the morning traffic. A ribbon of cars embroiders the northern coastline. In the north are the hotels,  in North there is work.
The cabin air is fresh. I’m protected from noise, heat and the smell of hundreds of exhaust pipes. Everything is fine,  right? I am a well-paid child psychiatrist on a tropical island.
"The only in Aruba!"  everyone says.
At the word "only" I am no longer so proud. The word  “only”   makes me feel that I haven’t got  enough clothes on my body , that  I am standing  half-naked  in the spotlight.



 Translated from:


Aruba 

juni  2010

Blauwe hemel, verblindende  zon,  turkoois water.
Ik knipper met mijn ogen, het is gewoon te fel.
Mijn teen duwt  lichtjes op de automatische versnelling. Een  klein  romantisch strandje verschijnt. Ik weet dat de schijn bedriegt.  Het witte  zand is bezaaid met  plakkerige condooms en vette resten van Big Mac's, getuigen van Aruba's meest geliefde vrije tijdsbestedingen . Een motorboot dobbert in de baai, ernaast twee  mannenhoofden, net vergeten kokosnoten. Heel even  stel ik me voor hoe het zou zijn als mijn hoofd daar ook zou dobberen,  hoe het zilte water over mijn lijf glijdt tot ik me in de boot hijs om met de twee  mannen de zee op te racen. Associaties van moeilijke communicatie, gebrek aan humor en zwetende lichamen verjagen deze dagdroom.
Ik heb het best naar mijn zin in de gekoelde cabine van mijn nieuwe Chevy, boven elk tumult verheven. Softmusic uit de 60er jaren dempt quadrafonisch elk gevoel van stress. 
De trafiek staat stil op de L.G Smith Boulevard. Gebiologeerd kijk ik naar de gifgroene grasperken van het Koningin Wilhelmina park. Tussen korte dikke grashalmen kwispelen  blauwgroene staarten,  klauwen bliksemsnelle pootjes en loeren pientere reptielhoofdjes van zich vlug vermenigvuldigende leguanen. Palmbomen rijzen op afgemeten afstanden uit dit levende tapijt de hemel in en zwaaien in de permanente Arubaanse bries. Tussen hun gave stammen staat Wilhelmina in volle glorie, uit steen gehouwen.  
Stapsgewijs vordert mijn pick-up  in de ochtendtrafiek. Een lint van auto’s borduurt de kustlijn richting noord. In Noord staan de hotels, in Noord is er werk.
De airco is lekker fris. Alle geluiden, de hitte en de stank van de uitlaatgassen zijn buitengesloten. Alles prima toch?  Ik ben een goedbetaalde kinderpsychiater op een tropisch eiland.
“De enige op Aruba!”, zegt iedereen.
Bij het woord “enige” ben ik tegenwoordig niet meer zo trots. Bij het woord enige heb ik soms het gevoel niet genoeg kleren aan mijn lijf te hebben, halfnaakt in de spotlight te staan.




No comments:

Post a Comment